domenica 17 luglio 2011

Taking down the barriers of hatred

The long history of conflict between Iran and Iraq caused both sides to look down on each other. In one of my lab classes, I noticed that one of my classmates was struggling with the lab assignment. Normally I like helping others without hesitation. But this classmate was an Iranian, and I hesitated to approach her, because I thought she would look down on me just because I’m an Iraqi.
However, I decided to help her, notwithstanding the hatred I grew up with when I lived in Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries. I told myself, “Let’s go and love her, as if she were Jesus.”
After class, she invited me for lunch with her friends — all Iranians!! Frankly, I was shocked but accepted the invitation. I got to know her and her friends more. I introduced myself as an Iraqi, and her friends accepted me as myself.
During the conversation, my classmate told me that she didn’t like the conflict between Iraq and Iran, and she was convinced that there must be good Iraqi people. When I had decided to help her, she was shocked, too; she had never imagined receiving help from an Iraqi.
I was so happy, because I had made a step in taking down the barriers of hatred between Iraqis and Iranians.
S. M., Toronto
From Living City: www.livingcitymagazine.com/

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento