martedì 28 gennaio 2014

Diversity is richness – Italy

I am an Italian catholic and during the last days I had the chance to spend a lot of time with some work colleagues: two Muslims (an Iranian and a Turk) and three Buddhists (a Thai and two Japanese).
We spent two very simple days together, during which we shared about the year that had just passed and our perspectives for the coming year. Some moments were pure relax, whereas others were quite intense as we shared about our personal experiences in the light of different faiths. The atmosphere was really fraternal, to the point that it seemed almost impossible that we belonged to different cultures: a Korean, a Chinese, a Thai, two Japanese, a Turk an Iranian and me, an Italian.

Though I may make many considerations about such an experience, related to the spiritual or psychological sphere, etc…, however I just wish to underline one recurring thought coming to my mind during those two days. I was the only Italian and the whole group pointed that out to me, almost with surprise. Nothing strange about that! After all, our meeting was in Rome, Italy’s capital city. Nevertheless, this thought never struck me because our being together went far beyond cultural, geographic and religious differences.
I never felt threatened in my identity, and this is the beauty of this experience. I felt enriched to the very point of realizing what is lacking to those people who cannot or, often times, feel afraid or scared to do such experiences.
We talked a lot about our cultures and religions and made fun about many their aspects. We also shared many experiences that each one of us went through in different social contexts. At the end of these two days, I felt even more Christian and perhaps more Italian. Likewise, even the others must have discovered more about themselves and yet more enriched than before .
It is true that differences are not something to be feared rather they are a gift that can enrich us. It depends on us to live them as an opportunity and not as a threat.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento