lunedì 25 agosto 2014

Experiences from Iraq/2

Source: www.focolare.org
More “flashes of light” and hope, the results of living the Gospel, which we received from some young people of the Focolare Movement in this martyred land
V said: “There are some members of the evangelical church who work to distribute basic necessities to the people. Since we saw how much they had to do, we offered to help. The evangelical pastor was very grateful and we are happy to feel more united.
For many reasons I cannot always go out with the other young people to help people in distress. One day, while going around the school where there are refugee families, I saw two babies lying on a mattress on the floor. It was dark and it was hot. I took one of them in my arms. When the mother came we started talking and I asked her if she needed anything. She thanked me and told me almost ashamedly, that she needed a pair of pyjamas. It had been days that she always slept in the same clothes. When I went home, I told my family and we found one for her. On another occasion I met a little girl from a family I knew, who was by herself, crying. I invited her to my room and we played together all morning. We also brought pencils and notebooks for the many children. They had fun drawing and colouring. We played other games with them and prayed together. We wanted to make them feel that there is still “Good” in the world and that they should not be afraid. I feel that this is our role: to stand on our own two feet and have a strong relationship with God in order to encourage others, to bring joy, love and peace.”
L. said: “In Qaraqosh, a village in the North, I saw a priest and a nun cleaning the streets, after days in which rubbish had accumulated because the public service could no longer do the garbage collection. I also got my friends involved and we started to help them.”

A. added: “In Erbil, where there is the highest concentration of refugee families, we met with some young people from Qaraqosh to see how to organize ourselves in order to help those in need. We got in touch with some priests and volunteered to distribute food and water to as many people as possible.”
Some of these people would like to migrate to some other country and join their relatives who are already abroad.
Aziz told us: “There is a lot of suffering but in our hearts there is also a great desire to continue to love wherever we may live.”
R. told us: “It was moving to see the determination of the Focolare Movement families who had lost their homes and all their belongings, in joining the Youth for a United World initiative: “Dialogue to Unlock.” They wore the white T-shirted and posted their photos in the Facebook Page #dialoguetounlock, thus giving their commitment to live for peace, even though they are in the midst of such a tragedy.”
R. concluded: “People living in the southern part of Iraq (from Bagdad to Basra) have not undergone the same hardships as the northern part of the country, however, they fear the same ordeal if there are no major political changes at international level. In this very painful situation, we entrust ourselves to God, asking Him to give hope and comfort to those thousands of people who have literally lost everything, including the hope of a secure and peaceful future.”
For those wishing to help the Christians of Iraq:
IBAN JO09 ARAB 1110 0000 0011 1210 9985 98
Account: 0111 210998 0 598
Swiftcode: ARABJOAX100
Description:  Help Christians in Iraq
ARAB Bank – Amman branch

Amman – Jordan

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento