sabato 25 ottobre 2014

HOPE behind bars

Discovering hope in others leads to hope in oneself. Like happiness, it is achieved from others.
Perhaps it’s only fair for society to imprison unlawful citizens. Most of them may deserve what they get. For some of them, though, change comes later through an awakening of conscience or perhaps from the depths of despair. In fact, they spend most of their time in agony. The majority of law-abiding citizens remains indifferent to their condition. Once they are locked up in bleak cells, they are forgotten.
One Saturday afternoon, I had a chance to walk around the unfamiliar grounds of the National Prison. Together with my family, and with some hospital Volunteers, we went to visit the ailing prisoners. I expected it to be like in the movies, only less high tech and probably polluted as well. But it wasn’t like that at all. I was surprised to find it much like a regular community. People were walking around freely, a church stood on one side and a few vendors were in sight. Yet even in this friendly atmosphere I could imagine the brutality and corruption under the surface. I took my first few steps in fear and curiosity. Not knowing what to say or do, I asked God’s guidance.
We reached the medical ward and to my surprise, it was right beside the psychiatric ward. The moment I stepped inside the room, my fear gave way to sadness. I tried to act normal because the last thing they needed was a look of pity. Here I saw men whose hopes are confided to their pillows. They only grasp at them when they dream. But even when these men awake they remain close to their dreams because they haven’t got much to do but sleep, eat and survive. Staying in the medical ward doesn’t really mean they will be cured. Patients are just separated to prevent their infecting the rest. The treatment they get is not enough for them to fully recover.

The first person I noticed was this middle-aged man with a guitar by his side. He picked it up and started strumming. I heard his story and it was alarming. But my fright subsided after a while. He had been sentenced to jail for 3 lifetimes, one for each life he had taken away. He said it was like an accident having killed three people in one afternoon. He now knows, however, his mistake and I heard a sigh of hopelessness in his voice.
Although most of them are suffering, some of them still refuse to give up hope. My sister befriended a Japanese prisoner and they were conversing in Nihonggo. His story was a little different from the others. He still dreams of going back to Japan. Holding on to his dream gives him hope. Then I realized that finding hope in others lead to hope in oneself. Like happiness, it is achieved from others. If only there were more people like him, the medical ward would probably be less depressing.
After an hour of meeting the most interesting yet the loneliest of people, we had to go. But before leaving, we listened to one of the guys playing some soulful violin pieces for us. The room became silent. His last number was the most dramatic. He played it for the old man he had been in deep conversation with for the past hour. The look on his face was priceless for the music had brought him back to when his life was at its best. His eyes reflecting the memories of a past love, his emotions overflowed as tears rolled down his cheeks. The smile on his face betrayed how incredibly touched he was. I felt my heart go out with him as I forgot everything else.
Within the walls of this prison are forgotten men with only a flicker of hope to keep them going and memories to live on. They have made mistakes they’re paying for now for the rest of their lives. Some of them have already made the prison their home. They would rather stay here than return home and find that their families have turned their backs on them. They might find no room for forgiveness. Their ignored cries of regret continue to haunt them. As we walked down the narrow corridors once again I felt their sorrow. At the same time I was thankful for having made this moving experience… There are so many things I wish for them but some of these wishes would seem improbable. The thing they need most to help them keep going now is to hold on to what’s left of their convictions. Once they let go of hope, they will find no reason to wake up the next morning. They will only want to dream on forever.
Claire Ganzon
“I know how men in exile feed on dreams of hope.”

Aeschylus

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento